Jan 29, 2008

Humble Oatmeal

Breakfast. That thing you're supposed to eat before you run out the door on a frantic dash that doesn't stop until sometime after you fall asleep watching a late movie. As a Stay-at-home-Wife I'm exceedingly lucky to not have to deal with all that chaos, however Hubby still needs to eat before waltzing out the door in his way to work. Well, to be more accurate, crashes out the door like a tornado, banging the metal screen door shut as my ears protest.

There are the mornings where 'happy accidents' stride into the kitchen and take over a boring meal. Oatmeal is my favorite hot cereal, hot & thick. One morning the raisins were mad. Tired of being dumped in second rate foods, especially just oatmeal. Raisins loved being the star with oatmeal as long as Cookies was attached to the title, but that one thing lacking made the raisins cringe. "Don't you dare put us in that mush!" they wailed, looking down their noses at the humble oats. It's Christmas that did it I think. They had reached their hight of fame as one of the lead roles in my first fruitcake. My mother and sister (who both live with us at the moment) just raved over the cake, both of which previously had thought I was bonkers for wanting to make fruitcake. Rummaging through the kitchen I came across some bits and pieces to toss in with the lowly oatmeal. Much to my surprise (and hubby's delight) oatmeal became interesting again.


Autumn's Oatmeal

1/4 c. Raisins
1/4 c. Coconut
2 c. Water
1 small to medium Carrot, grated
3/4 c. Oatmeal
Sugar-free Maple Syrup, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste
Nutmeg, to taste

Microwave raisins & coconut in 1/2 c. water on High for 2 minutes, let stand 5-10 minutes. Grate carrot into small pan, adding remaining 1 1/2 c. water. Add raisin mixture to carrots and bring to a boil. Add oatmeal, cooking to desired consistency. Season with syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

I do have to point out that the oatmeal pic doesn't have any coconut in it (hubby prefers it that way), but to me it tastes a lot better with it. 3/4 c. of oatmeal is the 'heart healthy' serving recommendation on the back of the Quaker Oats box.


Snookered Fruit Oatmeal

1/2 c. Dried Cranberries
1/2 c. Golden Raisins
3/4 c. Peach Schnapps
1 1/2 c. Water
3/4 c. Oatmeal
Sugar-free Maple Syrup

Combine cranberries, raisins, and schnapps in air tight container, shake well and let sit 12-24 hours to rehydrate. Boil water, adding oatmeal according to package directions. Top oatmeal with desired amount of fruit, schnapps, and syrup.

Any dried fruit can be used, its just what I had leftover from a second fruitcake I didn't make. Personally I think the schnapps is perfect with dried apricots, candied ginger, and orange zest. I would assume that this could be made with cream of rice, cream of wheat or other hot cereal that strikes your fancy. I do have to point out that the pic is a double serving, otherwise it wouldn't fit in the dish. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmm... I love oatmeal. I usually don't give it this much attention, but I'll have to try sometime. :)

Thanks for letting me know about the cornbread! I've used this recipe for YEARS and shouldn't have assumed. Oy... I'm still learning to read EVERY label.