Aug 12, 2008

Cornbread- Ain't nothin' wrong with it NOW!


First off I'd like to apologize to Domestic Spaz for not posting this months ago as a response to her Chili & Cornbread recipe as an alternative to the Jiffy mix cornbread. Shortly after her post, I threw my back out and then came the five-tier cake of Doooom. I hope that this would be similar to the Jiffy mix (I'm not sure because I don't remember the last time I ate it) but its about as easy, especially when time runs short.

This is from Make-A-Mix Cookbook my mom gave me years ago after she had received it as a gift, and had no use for it. This is not a vegan cookbook, however there are a lot of recipes that vegans can still use but alterations are required. It has saved me time, money, and helps me keep my cupboards full of homemade foods with the convenience of the prepackaged products.
~~~
This recipe comes in two parts:

Cornbread Mix

4 cup all purpose Flour
4 cup yellow Cornmeal
2 cup instant Soy Milk Powder
2/3 cup granulated Sugar
4 tablespoons Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Baking Soda

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir with a wire whisk until evenly distributed. Pour into a 10-cup container with a tight fitting lid. Seal container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks. Makes about 10 cups Cornbread Mix.

Cornbread

Egg Replacer equaling 1 Egg (we use Ener-G)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Water (for pourable consistancy)
2 tablespoons Canola Oil
1-1/4 cups Cornbread Mix

Preheat oven to 425F (220 C). Grease a 5" x 3" loaf pan. In a bowl beat together egg, water, and oil. Stir in Cornbread Mix until moistened. Batter will be lumpy. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. makes 1 loaf.

Variations:

Add 1/2 cup of frozen corn to the batter

Mix in salsa or chili before cooking

I like to double the cornbread recipe and bake it in a glass 11" x 7" pan so I can freeze the leftovers.

It would be fun to make up a batch of the mix with blue cornmeal, mix up a double batch (one yellow, one blue) and marble it in the pan. Or similarly, mix up two batches of batter, adding food coloring to the water of one of them, again marbling it in the pan.

To use as a substitute for Jiffy cornbread mix- Weight of the Jiffy mix (dry) is 8.5 oz and the amount of the MAM dry cornbread mix for a single recipe is 6-1/4 oz. My assumption is that they could possibly be used interchangeably, but I haven't tested it (I have leftover lemon or white cake mix but not yellow, Lemon cornbread doesn't sound good.)

Now if only I had some of that chili... :D

No comments: